Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 If you have been affected by COVID-19, we may be able to help. Find out more

Service update Some of our key services are currently unavailable while we make some improvements to our system. These will be back on 8am, 16 April. Find out more

Service update Some of our key services will be unavailable from 3pm, 9 April until 16 April for a system upgrade. Find out more

You need to register with us as an employer as soon as you start employing.

Gather your information

You’ll need:

  • the IRD number to be registered
  • your contact details
  • your BIC (business industry classification) code
  • the date you'll start paying interest.

Log in to myIR

Select 'More' next to 'I want to'

Select 'Register for new tax accounts'

This is under ‘Other actions’.

Fill in the form

Select ‘Resident withholding tax (RWT)’.

Fill in your contact details, address and bank account, if needed. You’ll also need to give us specific details about your RWT account.

Submit the registration

Confirm your information is correct then click ‘submit’.

What happens next

After you've registered as an employer, we'll send you a letter with information about:

  • keeping wage records
  • making deductions from PAYE income paid to employees and contractors
  • completing and filing employer returns 
  • paying the deductions to us.

You are also registered for Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) payments. ACC will invoice you for the:

  • Work levy
  • Working Safer levy
  • Earners' levy – you deduct this as part of the PAYE from your employees pay. It covers non-work related accidents.

If you do not have myIR, you can download and print the Employer registration form.

Employer registration IR334 PDF 87KB Download form