Your employee can join KiwiSaver if they’re living (or normally living) in New Zealand and they’re either:
- a New Zealand citizen or entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely
- an Australian citizen
- a New Zealand or Australian residence permit holder.
Eligibility for State Services employees
State Services employees who are serving overseas can also join KiwiSaver if they:
- remain employed on New Zealand terms and conditions
- are serving in a jurisdiction where offers of KiwiSaver scheme membership are lawful
- meet the other eligibility requirements.
Employees who cannot join KiwiSaver
Your employee cannot join KiwiSaver if they:
- hold a temporary, visitor or student visa
- are a New Zealand citizen or someone who can live in New Zealand indefinitely, but they’re just visiting New Zealand or on holiday.