Check you can opt them in
Not all your employees can opt in through you. Some of them can only opt in with a scheme provider.
Check employee eligibility for KiwiSaver
Ask your employee for a KiwiSaver deduction form - KS2
They may have already given you their KS2. Ask them to fill it in for you if you do not have it.
It tells you the rate to deduct KiwiSaver contributions from their pay.
Keep it for your records.
Give your employee the KiwiSaver -employee information - KS3 factsheet
Give your employee the KS3. You need to do this within 7 days of getting their KS2.
Not giving them their KS3 may mean a penalty for you.
Give them a product disclosure statement
If your employee is opting into:
- your employer-chosen scheme, you give them the product disclosure statement
- a default KiwiSaver scheme, they get their product disclosure statement from us.
Send us your KiwiSaver employee details - KS1
Fill in a KS1 for the employee you're opting in.
Send this to us as soon as possible. You can upload it in myIR or post it to the address on the form.
Keep a copy for your records.
Start deductions and contributions
From the first pay after you’re notified start:
- KiwiSaver deductions from your employee’s pay
- making compulsory employer contributions (CEC) and paying employer superannuation contribution tax (ESCT).
Sometimes employees opt into KiwiSaver through a scheme provider. This means they've chosen their own scheme and joined KiwiSaver through them.
If your employee opts in with a scheme provider, we’ll write to you to let you know:
- they’ve opted in with a scheme provider
- your employee’s IRD number
- the rate by which they want you to deduct KiwiSaver contributions from their pay.