Skip to main content
Check out our new content, navigation and design for KiwiSaver.

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

  Joining KiwiSaver if I'm self-employed or not working

Self-employed or unemployed individuals

You can join KiwiSaver by contacting the scheme provider of your choice directly.

Choosing a KiwiSaver provider

You and your KiwiSaver provider will need to agree:

  • any terms and conditions.

Your contribution rate is completely up to you. You can pay your KiwiSaver contributions directly to your provider or through us.

If you're paying your KiwiSaver contributions through us, you can:

  • use the ‘Pay tax’ option and select 'KiwiSaver' through your internet banking
  • set up an automatic payment.

Make a payment

Discuss your contribution rate with your provider if your situation changes. 

If you start earning a salary or wages, tell your employer you belong to KiwiSaver and they will start deducting contributions.