The tax year is from 1 April to 31 March. After the end of the tax year we assess your end-of-year tax position.
We use the information we have about your income and tax types. We already know about any taxed income you received during the year. We don’t know about untaxed income such as income from:
- rental property including Airbnb and Bookabach
- 'under the table' cash jobs
- an estate, trust or partnership.
Why have I been asked to complete an individual tax return IR3?
Some of the common reasons we ask customers to complete an individual tax return (IR3) are because they:
- received untaxed income in the previous tax year
- received income as a shareholder in a company, or as a beneficiary of a trust in the previous tax year
- received interest or dividends from a partnership, look-through company, trust or estate
- are registered for GST or as an employer
- have outstanding tax returns.
If none of these apply to you, or you do not think you need to complete an IR3, contact us to discuss your situation.
How can I change my income types?
You need to let us know whenever you start receiving a new type of income or stop receiving an existing type.
The easiest way to let us know is in myIR.
Or you can call us on:
- 0800 775 247 (individual customers)
- 0800 377 774 (business customers)
I’ve told Inland Revenue about changes to my income types. Do I still need to complete an IR3?
Even if you stop receiving an income type during the tax year you still need to complete an IR3 at the end of that tax year.
You might not need to complete an IR3 at the end of the next tax year – it depends on your situation for that tax year.