Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

From Australia

If you're a receiving carer with children living with you in Australia, you must apply for child support with the Department of Human Services (DHS). You can do this by calling the DHS directly.

From other countries

If you live in a country other than Australia, you can apply for a formula assessment by either:

  • completing the form on our website and emailing it to us
  • calling the international line.

If you have a biological child under the age of 18 in your day-to-day care, you may be able to have them recognised by our formula assessment. You'll need to provide us a copy of their birth certificate. 

If the child in your care is a New Zealand citizen, you may be able to apply for child support.

You'll need to give us a New Zealand bank account to receive monthly payments.

It's important to give us your income details otherwise we'll have to estimate your income. Send your most recent income tax return or evidence to to make sure you get the right amount.