Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

Gather your information

You will need all of these:

  • IRD numbers for you and your children
  • your bank account details
  • your child's birth certificate
  • proof of parentage
  • information about the other parent or carers.

Download the form

To have child support based on a formula assessment you need to apply to us. 

If you believe using your real name will cause safety concerns for you, a carer, or your child, we may be able to leave your name out when communicating with the other parent. Attach any relevant documents to this form. For example a court order, police report, a letter from a social worker or Work and Income, or a letter from your doctor. 

Sign the form and send it to us

If you used the form check you have included your correct information and any documents we need.

What happens next

We'll assess your application within 2 weeks and send you and the paying parent a notice. The notice will tell you how much you need to pay or will get.

Paying parents have 30 days to make their first payment. Receiving carers get paid by the 7th of each month.


My responsibilities

From now on you must always:

  • tell us about any changes to your income or care arrangements as soon as you can
  • keep up payments if you are the paying parent
  • deal with debt as soon as possible
  • let us know if this agreement is not working.