Skip to main content

The easiest way to submit a receipt for a donations is in myIR.

Using myIR means we can work out your tax credit without you having to file a claim when the tax year ends on 31 March.

You can submit your receipts throughout the tax year or submit them all together at the end of the tax year.

You need to wait till after end of the tax year to receive your tax credit. We pay most tax credits by June each year.

Register to claim donation tax credits

You need to be registered to claim tax credits for donations.

Go to your myIR account, select 'I want to', then 'More', then 'Register for donation tax credits'.

Check the organisation is on our approved list

Check the organisation you donated to is on our approved list.

Approved donee organisations

Gather your information

You'll need:

  • your receipt from the donee organisation
  • your bank account number
  • your spouse/partner's IRD number if you are sharing a receipt.

Submit your receipt

Upload a photo or scan of your receipt.

You can share a portion of your tax credit with your spouse/partner. To do this, answer 'yes' to the question 'Is this receipt shared with a spouse/partner?' then enter their IRD number and the amount of the donation you want to share with them.

What happens next

After the tax year ends on 31 March we work out your tax credit. We'll be in touch if we need more information.

If you have a tax debt we'll put your tax credit towards your debt and refund you any remaining money. Otherwise we'll pay your tax credit into your bank account. We pay most tax credits by June each year.

If you're an IR3 filer we'll hold your tax credit until you've filed your IR3 tax return and we can confirm your income.

You can transfer your tax credit

Instead of having your tax credit paid into your bank account you can transfer it to your tax account, or to someone else's tax account. For example, you might know you have a tax bill coming up so you can put the money in your tax account to help pay the bill.

You cannot transfer your tax credit to a donee organisation. You would need to make a separate donation to the organisation.

If you do not use myIR you have to submit all your receipts after the tax year ends on 31 March.

You need to complete a 'Tax credit claim form - IR526'.

Post the IR526 and your receipts to:

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39090
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045

We'll let you know the amount of your tax credit within 6 weeks. If you're a IR3 filer we need to wait until you've filed your IR3 before we can let you know the amount of your tax credit.

Tax credit claim form IR526 PDF 103KB Download form