Log in to myIR
Log in to myIR and select the tax year.
Gather your information
You will need:
- your IRD number
- details of your income for the tax year
- details of any expenses you want to claim.
If you received taxed income we'll put the details in your individual tax return. You need to check this information and change it if it's wrong.
Depending on where your income came from you may also need:
- details about any untaxed income such as from your business, rental property or overseas.
- property sale information form – IR833 – for any income from a taxable property sale.
- details about any adjustments to your income if you received Working for Families payments or have a student loan.
Complete your return
Our Individual income tax return guide – IR3G – will help you.
What happens next
- After you submit your return we will let you know any refund you are due or tax to pay.
- You can fix any mistakes you make in your return after you've submitted it.
- You can use our disputes process if you disagree with our assessment.
- Send us your return by 7 July unless you have a tax agent or an extension of time.
- If you cannot complete your return on time you need to apply for an extension of time. Otherwise we may charge you a late filing penalty.
- If you need to do a return for a previous year you can do this in myIR or download and print the form.
- Make sure we have your correct contact, bank account and income information. You can update these any time during the tax year. The easiest way is in myIR, or you can call us.
If you do not have myIR you can download and print the Individual tax return form.Individual tax return IR3 (PDF 270KB) Download form