Skip to main content

COVID-19 - Level 4 Inland Revenue will continue to provide services throughout the COVID-19 response, including paying Working for Families. Please use our online services as phone contact is severely limited. Find out more >

Gather your information

You will need:

  • a copy of the death certificate
  • the IRD number of the person who has died
  • a copy of the person’s will, if they left one
  • details of the tax refund we owed the person when they died.

Sign the declaration and have it witnessed

Take your declaration to a solicitor, justice of the peace or approved officer. Sign the declaration and have them sign it too.

Send the declaration to us

Inland Revenue
PO Box 39010
Wellington Mail Centre
Lower Hutt 5045