Skip to main content

Te tuku i tētahi puka ā-tau mō te tāke painga tāpiri File a fringe benefit tax income year return


Gather your information

You will need details of the fringe benefits you provided in the last year.

Complete a new fringe benefit tax income year return in myIR

Register for myIR if you do not have an account.

When you complete the FBT return your fringe benefit tax payment or refund will automatically be worked out.

What happens next

You will receive a confirmation receipt as soon as you finish your return. This will tell you if you need to make a payment or are due a refund.

If you need to make a payment you can do this through:

  • internet banking
  • credit or debit card online
  • direct debit.

If you are due a refund this will be direct credited to your account.

If you realise that you made a mistake in your fringe benefit tax return, you can correct this online.

You can also calculate your income year FBT by using our online calculator.

Once you have calculated your annual FBT, you will need to file a paper return.

Fringe benefit shareholder/employee income year tax return IR421 (PDF 81KB) Download form