Gather your information
Before registering you will need:
- IRD numbers for you, your partner and your child – you can still receive Working for Families payments for 8 weeks if you need to apply for an IRD number for your child
- your estimated family income for the tax year – if you register in myIR we’ll fill in the income information we know about
- any child support amounts paid or received by private agreement
- your bank account number.
Log in to myIR
Go to I want to and select More
Select Register for Working for Families
Complete and submit your details
What happens next
You will get a notice of entitlement from us. It will tell you how much your payments will be and the date of your first payment.
You will get the notice:
- the next day if you use myIR
- within 10 working days if you do not use myIR.
As a Working for Families customer you must:
- check your information
- tell us about changes to your family situation
- tell us about changes to your income or hours of work
- tell us about changes to your contact details or bank account.
You can give your partner access to your Working for Families information in myIR. Your partner will be able to see the same information as you and make some updates.
It’s up to you if you give your partner access. You can cancel your partner’s access at any time.
If you do not have a myIR account you can register for one.
myIR lets you see and update your Working for Families information at any time. You can:
- see your payment amounts and dates
- see the information we have about your current and past income, partner and dependent children
- update your information.
If you do not have a myIR account, you can still register for Working for Families here.Go to this tool