Your taxable income
Everything you earn in a tax year that you need to pay tax on is your taxable income.
Some examples of taxable income include:
Income from working
- salary or wages from New Zealand and overseas
- casual or 'under the table' jobs
- tips from customers
- ACC compensation
- some bonuses and allowances.
Income from benefits
- Work and Income benefits
- student allowances.
Income from assets and investments
- savings accounts and investments in New Zealand and overseas
- tenants or holiday homes
- overseas property
- Māori Authority distributions
- sales of some capital assets.
Income from prizes or volunteering
- interest you earn from investing the money from Lotto or Bonus Bonds winnings
- some money from volunteering.