Skip to main content

Ngā kainoho tāke o Aotearoa me ngā haumitanga o tāwāhi New Zealand tax residents with overseas investments


New Zealand tax residents pay income tax on interest and dividends from overseas investments.

Common examples of overseas investments are:

  • savings accounts
  • term deposits and bonds
  • shares in a foreign company
  • foreign investment funds (FIFs).
  • foreign retirement savings schemes (overseas pensions)
  • rental properties.

Which country do I pay tax to?

You pay tax to New Zealand. You might also pay tax to the other country but you might get a tax credit for this. Check if New Zealand has a double tax agreement (DTA) and what the DTA says.